carbon monoxide

Odourless and invisible, carbon monoxide (CO) is a dangerous gas that can leak into your home without you even knowing it.

Thankfully, CO detectors are readily available and – if installed correctly in the proper locations – will alert you when they detect any traces of carbon monoxide, greatly helping to improve your home safety.

Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide can fill your home from unvented, poorly vented and/or malfunctioning gas or kerosene heaters, gas water heaters, fireplaces, gas stoves, woodstoves and gas furnaces, as well as vehicle exhaust from attached garages. Symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include fatigue, chest pain, impaired vision, poor coordination, dizziness, nausea and confusion. Sometimes carbon monoxide poisoning can be mistaken for a bad cold or influenza; however, the symptoms will begin to subside once you leave the home. This deadly gas can prove fatal in high levels.

Where To Install CO Detectors

  1. CO detectors should be installed on every floor.
  2. Place a detector within 10 feet of bedroom doors and sleeping areas. This helps protect your family from CO poisoning even throughout the night.
  3. Install a detector at the top of basement stairs.
  4. Place a detector near attached garages where fumes can leak in and lower your indoor air quality.

Where Not to Install CO Detectors

  1. Avoid installing near air conditioners, ceiling fans, fresh air returns and heat vents. These can prevent the detector from functioning properly.
  2. Keep detectors out of direct heat and direct sunlight.
  3. Never install detectors behind obstructions such as curtains.
  4. Never install them near fuel-burning appliances. Appliances such as gas water heaters and furnaces give off safe trace amounts of CO, which can trigger nearby alarms. To prevent false alarms, keep the detector at least 10 to 15 feet away from fuel-burning appliances.
  5. Avoid installed detectors in bathrooms or other areas of high humidity, which will damage the detector and give off false readings.

Carbon monoxide detectors are a relatively inexpensive device that will protect you and your family from a potentially fatal incident. With safety being the top priority, be sure to take every possible measure as we head into the deep freeze.

{ 3 comments }

Furnace Troubleshooting tips to keep the cold at bay.

January 15, 2013

With the colder winter weather approaching, Ontario homeowners should be considering the condition of their home’s furnace. Is it working properly? Furnace troubleshooting can save you a lot of money and ensure the safety of your family. There are a number of things you can do to detect problems or even prevent them from starting. Keep […]

Read the full article →

Discover the purpose of MERV Ratings for air filters.

January 15, 2013

If you’re like most homeowners in Ontario, you might not know much about MERV ratings. That’s understandable because the cheap, one-inch air filters you can find at a local store appear to do a sufficient job cleaning your air. The truth is, however, that they do a poor job of removing particles from your air […]

Read the full article →

Keeping Your Loved Ones Safe

November 5, 2012

During November, the Canada Safety Council (CSC) is running two nationwide campaigns targeted at fire safety and seniors in our communities. These campaigns are aimed at raising awareness and providing the public with the necessary steps to prevent harm or dangerous situations from occurring. Below is a brief overview of each campaign and some of […]

Read the full article →

Air Purification Gives Indoor Air Quality An Upgrade

July 4, 2012

It may be hard to believe, but did you know that the air inside your home may be more contaminated than the air outside? The Environmental Protection Agency states that indoor air can contain as many as five times the amount of pollutants as outdoor air. That’s significant, especially if you suffer from allergies or […]

Read the full article →

Freon Shortages Could Impact Your Summer Energy Bills

May 4, 2012

If your home has an air conditioner that is more than a few years old, it most likely uses a refrigerant called R-22, which is more commonly called Freon. This once-common refrigerant is rapidly becoming quite rare.  Freon is a chemical known as an HCFC (hydrochlorofluorocarbon). HCFCs work well for cooling the inside of your […]

Read the full article →

Top Comfort Tips for November 1, 2010

November 2, 2010

Looks like the warm weather is officially behind us! This week we highlight 5 comfort tips that are certain to keep your family safe, happy, healthy and cozy all winter long. Have any others you’d like to share? We’re always looking for more ideas! Comfort Tip #5 – Natural Solutions for Toxic Household Mold via […]

Read the full article →

Week 4: The Fall Tune-up Test concludes!

October 22, 2010

This is it: the last week of the Reliance Fall Home Tune-Up! Can I assume that you’ve all been busy? Hopefully after this week each of you can answer every one of our original Tune-Up Test 10 questions with a resounding “YES!”. Not to put too much pressure on, but as you know…winter is fast […]

Read the full article →

Carbon Monoxide – are you at risk?

May 14, 2010

The protection of your family, your home and your valuables should always be top of mind, but there is a silent, invisible killer that does not get the attention it deserves – carbon monoxide. This tasteless, odourless gas is responsible for numerous deaths in Canada each year and sadly, people just aren’t getting the message […]

Read the full article →