While most kids might argue otherwise, there’s more to Halloween than candy. Parents tend to spoil their children with sweets in October, but we all know that overloading on sugar obviously isn’t healthy. It’s important to find a balance, where kids can enjoy a fun and healthy Halloween without going overboard. Here are some creative ideas to host healthy Halloween parties and make trick-or-treating more nutritious.
Food: If you’re hosting a Halloween party, serve no more than one sugary item and stick to mostly healthier party snacks. To entice the kids, make healthy food look frightfully delicious by using Halloween themed cookie cutters for your sandwiches and fruit. Set the mood with creepy plates, napkins, cups and decorations! Some of your healthy party snacks can include:
- Apple cider
- Orange wedges
- Pumpkin muffins
- Light/low-fat popcorn
- String cheese
- Trail mix
- Rice crispy treats
- Sugar-free gum
Activities: Instead of a sit-down-and-eat party, shift the children’s focus away from snacking on candy by organizing activities like:
- Running a haunted house
- Mask making
- Costume contest
- Reading and writing Halloween stories
- Pin the nose on the witch
- Ghost sack races
Giveaways: Keep the neighbourhood kids happy and healthy by giving away small toys, healthier food options and fun-sized candy bars. Look no further than here for some ghoulish giveaway ideas:
- Plastic skeletons, spiders and ghosts
- Juice boxes
- Temporary tattoos or stickers
- Boxed raisins or dried fruit
- Low-fat candy
- Sugar-free gum
- Small crayon boxes
Bonus health and safety tips:
- Only give out one candy per-child, rather than a whole handful which is often the case.
- Make sure trick-or-treating candy is a dessert and not dinner.
- Check the items that your children collect before allowing them to eat.
- Encourage healthy eating throughout the year, not just on Halloween!
- Make sure children are travelling in groups or with a parent when trick-or-treating.
- Accessorize with glow-in-the-dark bracelets and give children a flashlight for added visibility.
Now it’s your turn: Share you tips for keeping Halloween fun and healthy in the comments section below and you could win a $100.00 3V VISA Prepaid Voucher.
WE’RE NOT COMFORTABLE UNTIL YOU ARE™
Learn more about our exclusive HVAC deals – book a FREE in-home consultation today!
Reliance Home Comfort”, “We’re not comfortable until you are.” and the Reliance Home Comfort logo are trademarks of Reliance Comfort Limited Partnership.