Air conditioners serve us well throughout the entire hot season and we often forget to appreciate their value once those hot summer days are gone. An important part of our indoor air quality and comfort, your air conditioner needs to be properly attended and repaired in order to efficiently deliver cool air next year as well. Here are 7 end-of-season air conditioning repair tips that can extend the life of your cooling system and also save you money. The experts at Reliance can perform the below repairs and maintenance to prepare your AC unit for a great season next summer:
- Clean the filters – If you have already replaced the filters during the spring revision, you don’t need to change them again at the end of the season. However, you do need to clean the filters, which is a very simple task that will not only improve the efficiency of your equipment, but will also increase its lifespan.
- Replace the air filter if you see ice forming – Unfortunately, when your air conditioner filter gets severely dirty, it no longer serves its purpose and starts restricting normal air flow. Since less hot air is able to enter into your cooling system through the suction line, ice starts to form. This situation calls for an experienced air conditioner repair specialist.
- Check the compressor – The air compressor is a key component of your cooling system and it should be checked at the end of the season to make sure it is still in good shape and operating optimally.
- Check for electrical issues – You should not attempt to diagnose or repair potential electrical problems in your air conditioner yourself. Without proper training, you can cause more damage to your air conditioner or even hurt yourself. A professional will make sure that your unit is safe to operate and make any electrical repairs necessary.
- Wash the condenser coil carefully – Washing of the condenser coil should be done at least once a season and the perfect time to do it is at the end of the cooling season. It is recommended to do it when the air conditioner is turned off.
- Check the refrigerant – One of the roles of air conditioner repair professionals is to replace or add refrigerant in a safe manner. Refrigerant is a harmful substance for the environment and only licensed experts are allowed to handle it using special equipment and technology. If you suspect any refrigerant issues, then call a technician to help you.
- Leave it to the professionals. Don’t make the situation worse by attempting DIY repairs. At the end of the season, it is best to call a professional team to check your cooling equipment, clean your filters, and refill refrigerant if required.
We offer end of season services for all makes and models of air conditioning units. To schedule an appointment to have an expert air conditioner repair technician take a look at your equipment, click here.