Spring is here and that means it’s time to schedule A/C maintenance before you need to turn your air conditioner on. A comprehensive air conditioning tuneup by a qualified air conditioner technician will benefit you in three major ways.
- Extend the operating life of your air conditioner.
- Ensure your system operates efficiently all summer long and help prevent breakdowns.
- Lower the energy costs associated with cooling your home.
When you schedule A/C maintenance, an air conditioning professional will:
- Lubricate the moving parts to prevent friction.
- Test the system controls to ensure your air conditioner cycles properly.
- Inspect the start and run capacitors and relays for damage.
- Measure the refrigerant level and adjust if necessary.
- Flush the condensate drain to prevent overflow.
- Tighten the electrical connections.
- Check the blower motor and belts for wear.
- Clean and adjust the thermostat to ensure accuracy.
- Check the voltage and amperage on the motor.
- Check the ductwork for damage and repair with mastic sealant.
- Clean the outdoor unit.
After your tune-up, there are several things you can do to maintain your air conditioner this summer:
- Keep the outdoor unit clear of debris, such as weeds and lawn clippings.
- Spray down the outdoor unit every month to remove dirt buildup, which can decrease the flow of air to your system.
- Check your air filter each month and replace it when it’s dirty to improve your indoor air quality and maintain optimum airflow to your system.
- Keep the area around your indoor unit free of dirt to prevent buildup inside your system.
- Make sure your return and supply registers are free of obstructions, such as furniture and drapery. Never close off more than 20 percent of your supply registers. Doing so will inhibit airflow and make your system work harder to keep you cool.
For more expert advice about maintaining your air conditioner, or to schedule A/C maintenance, contact us at Reliance Home Comfort.