While homeowners know they need to wipe down countertops and other surfaces to control bacteria, mold and other biological contaminants, they often fail to consider what to do about those found in the air of their home. Bioaerosols are a major component of indoor air pollution and include bacteria, mold, viruses, pet dander and dust mites. UV lights can help.
Why indoor air quality matters
There are many reasons to take your indoor air quality into consideration and look into the benefits ultraviolet lights provide. The average person spends the vast majority of their time indoors, and indoor air quality can be significantly worse than that found outdoors. Poor indoor air quality causes or contributes to the severity of around half of all illnesses, including allergies, asthma and most respiratory issues.
How can UV lights help?
The intense ultraviolet light emitted by these units can penetrate deep into biological contaminants and damage critical DNA structures, eliminating their ability to proliferate. These lights are mounted in your ductwork so they significantly reduce bioaerosols before they circulate through the whole house. UV lights also sterilize the inner surfaces of your ducts, keeping them clean and less likely to be a breeding ground for mold, viruses and other nasty issues. Ozone is another potential indoor air pollutant that ultraviolet lights help you avoid by being free of ozone emissions.