The weather is really starting to cool off, and you may be looking for an HVAC contractor to repair your ailing furnace, install a new system or provide you with a tune-up that will help your furnace perform efficiently all winter long. Here are the seven steps you should take to find a reliable HVAC technician.
- Talk to friends and neighbors. See if anyone you know personally can recommend one HVAC contractor or another.
- Ask for references. Customer satisfaction is the best way to tell if an HVAC company is truly experienced and knowledgeable in the field. Contact referrals and ask if the contractor provided a job well done.
- Ask for estimates. Don’t forget to consider factors such as energy efficiency, warranties and overall quality when comparing estimates. The initial cost is important to consider, but the lowest estimate could result in higher energy bills and a poor warranty due to a low-quality job.
- Insist on getting everything in writing. Ask for a written estimate, not ones given over the phone, and make sure a contract is part of the process. Written estimates and agreements protect you legally if the contractor makes a change without talking it over with you. Any changes to the original agreement should be indicated and initialed on the contract.
- Ask about payment methods. Make sure you’re on the same page as the contractor about when and how payments are made. Don’t work with a contractor who only accepts cash with no receipt.
- Don’t fall for high-pressure sales. Never choose an HVAC contractor that pressures you into signing a contract based on unlikely promises, such as a free equipment offer.
- Take your time. Unless you’re having an emergency, take your time choosing an HVAC contractor to ensure the best experience possible.
Whatever the reason for hiring an HVAC contractor, choose them carefully, since you’re trusting them with one of the most expensive pieces of equipment in your home.