Defeating a deceptive door-to-door salesperson

Warmer temperatures tend to bring an increase in door-to-door sales visits. While there are surely lots of honest people in the door-to-door sales profession, we only hear about the dishonest ones who are giving the industry a bad name. We want you to be able to spot them and help make sure you are never misled or pressured to sign a contract.

There are a few telltale signs and questions you can use to your advantage when someone knocks on your door. Also, as a customer, the law is in your favour and you are usually protected by a mandatory cooling off period.

Debunking the myths of the spontaneous door-knocking water heater company rep.

The next time someone shows up at your door there are a few different things you should consider, as well as things you should ask in order to confirm that they actually represent the company or brand name they are using to assert themselves as an “expert.”

1. Drop-in water heater inspections don’t exist. To begin with, the idea is incredibly fiscally irresponsible and an established company won’t waste payroll to send “inspectors” or technicians to an unconfirmed appointment, let alone an unscheduled one. The odds of it being a waste of time, and therefore money, are too high. If someone arrives unannounced to inspect your water heater, it isn’t to tell you that your water heater is working just fine.

1. Reputable companies use photo ID. For example, at Reliance all of our staff have photo ID right from their first day of work and are required to carry it at all times. Even support staff have it, and you will never even meet them face to face. If the person at your door doesn’t have photo ID then they do not work for Reliance. The same rule applies to our competitors, but usually not to the scam artists.

1. Any reputable salesperson knows that a significant percentage of people will never buy on the spot. It’s a well-researched statistic. As a result, a reputable salesperson should always carry brochures showcasing their products to leave behind after a sales call. If you suspect someone has the intention of selling you something, ask to see the features, advantages and benefits of their product in a printed brochure that they can leave behind. If they can’t provide you with one, don’t even consider signing that contract. The only reason to have a contract and not the product brochures may be to mislead you into a poor purchase decision.

1. The aforementioned purchase statistic also ensures that a “deal” is never only good for that visit. If you have been through the previous three steps and are comfortable with the offer on the table, there isn’t any reason not to go for it.

However, if you need time to consider it or discuss it with a family member, the offer will be there tomorrow.

Your rights as a consumer are protected by law.

In Ontario you are protected by the Consumer Protection Act, which was introduced in 2002 to protect consumers from misrepresentation by aggressive salespeople. Because of the Consumer Protection Act, you have the following rights as a consumer:

1. You are entitled to a 10-day cooling off period to change your mind and opt out of any contract you sign for your water heater rental. The 10 days begin when you receive your copy of the written contract. The only exclusion is if you request the water heater be installed sooner than 10 days.

1. All charges within the contract must be exactly as they are stated. For example, a company may not add a surcharge that is not noted unless it is a tax.

1. You have a full year to cancel the contract if it doesn’t do the following:
  • disclose all key information you need to know (including costs)
  • inform you about your contractual rights.

For more information in Ontario, review the Consumer Protection Act and the list of your rights on the Ontario Ministry of Consumer Services website.

* indicates required
Email Format
follow us twitter youtube

• al September 3, 2014, 8:07 pm

I know this is a random comment but if anyone gets a call from a “company” called “reliable” hang up ! What a waste of time listening to the telemarketer. It sounds like a scam their # seemed fake!

• Anjali March 21, 2014, 12:43 pm

This is all well and good but reliance is currently charging my parents for a water heater from another company and even with photos of the water heater, they are receiving bills months after my dad still called into complain.

Door-to-door is great, but the better scam is just sending bills to random households hoping they’ll pay!

• Homeonwer January 29, 2014, 5:36 pm

Two National reps came to the door claiming they were checking water heaters for upgrade eligibility and only Reliance customers were eligible for the upgrades. They told me they were “replacing Reliance because they charge for services they are not providing”. I felt like they were avoiding stating their actual intent and slandering Reliance to make a sale, so I told the to leave.

• Anthea January 25, 2014, 3:30 pm

They’re back at it again! A rep claiming to be from Reliance came to our door despite the fact we have a notice stating salespeople are not welcome. He came in the evening around 7pm and temperatures were -21C outside. There he was stating that he had been canvassing the area since 8am and he was at our door to measure the water heater as it was going to be replaced. Needless to say my mother refused to open the door to let him inside the house. He became quite belligerent and rude telling her if she didn’t let him in, she would be charged an additional $464.00. This he claimed was a savings if he was allowed in and the measurements taken of the heater. In turn my mother got quite nasty with the guy, told him a few choice words, and slammed the door while laughing at him standing there shivering in the cold! I praised her and immediately called Reliance to inquire about this. I was advised to let others know what was happening and that they would NEVER send anyone to our home. Be ware of these scam artists!

• Richard January 11, 2014, 12:13 pm

Had a national water heater at my new to me home. Never saw a contract. Nor was I given any info on contract when I bought home. Was not properly installed, with vent sloping to allow carbon monoxide into home. Tech from co. Came to fix and left me no heat( turned off meter to fix, did not light furnace pilot) and 2 massive gas leaks. Good thing I noticed and turned off gas. Now they expect me to pay for early cancellation fee. Don’t let them in!!

• Rob A December 13, 2013, 6:52 pm

The door-to-door scammers ignore “No soliciting” signs. They do not listen when you ask simple questions like, “What are you selling?” because it is not in their script that they repeat five thousand times as they comb the neigbourhood.

I usually just tell them “No”, and ask that they respect people’s “no soliciting” signs on their doors in future. When they get me up from the dinner table to answer their knock, then I really get angry, and I slam the door shut in their face.

It really bothers me that I have to educate my entire family to NEVER let someone into the house uninvited, unless they are a uniformed police officer, firefighter, or paramedic on scene for a purpose. NO ONE ELSE should ever need to gain admission to your house uninvited, and if you leave them at the door while you go search for a gas bill to show them, they could be looking in and “casing the joint” to see if anything is worth stealing.

Door-to-door sales should just stop, period.

• Somedude November 27, 2013, 2:46 pm

Here’s my story… Reliance Home Corruption they should call it. They came to my place saying that they are the owner of the water tank and other appliances. Since I just moved in, I had no clue what was going on… This is my first house… They come in they grabbed the tank number they then leave. About a month later I received some information in the mail saying that I have signed up for some coverage or insurance for the water tank and other appliances… I call them as soon I get the letter to tell them to stop all of this.. after 1 year.. I get a letter from a collection agency saying that I owed them money.. Yet I called and told them to cancel all of this stuff. Fine after some argue I pay the damn thing and write a stupid later that was plain and simple.. Cancel this service now! I’m not paying any further services with your scamming company. Guess what…. After another year they send me another message from a different credit company. This time I’m mad!…Saying that I have to pay them again… or they will cancel the service .. Services that I asked them to CANCEL!.. So screw this shit.. I’m not paying a thing… Only way you can cancel is by writing them a letter wish is a complete waste of time. Having the only possibility of CANCELING a service by SNAIL MAIL?? What year is this??? 1921???

• Al November 27, 2013, 9:46 am

I sent the following messaage on Nov 21, 2013. It sat waiting for moderation for 4 days and then disappeared…

“It would appear that Reliance has now changed their policy. Yesterday, two gentlemen with photo identification showing them to be from Reliance appeared unsolicited at our door. They indicated that they were there to test the efficiency of our hot water heater. We do not appreciate such unsolicited tactics nor will we allow uninvited strangers into our premises regardless whom they claim to represent.”

• Rich Massingham November 27, 2013, 4:48 pm

Thanks for contacting us Al and I would like to follow up on your experience if possible. Please contact me at rmassingham@reliancecomfort.com with details and I will investigate in order to better understand this situation. Thanks for taking the time to provide this valuable feedback. ~ Rich

• Superman October 21, 2013, 10:49 pm

Funny how reliance toots their horn in this case, yet in Winnipeg there has been soooo much dishonesty from reliance “employees”. They have been getting customers to sign rental agreements without them being fully filled out, not disclosing any of the terms of the rental contract, and often leaving with the signed contract not letting the customer have a copy (so they cant find out what they just signed) and to bypass the 10 day period, they book the replacement water heater installs the next day.

• Sue September 18, 2013, 3:34 pm

I happened to be home today and a man from National Home Services Energy Star came to my door saying that my tank is old and needs to be replaced. He said that Reliance knows that it’s too old and has sent him to replace it and that it will be free to give us a brand new one. I was a sucker and let this large, dirty, smelly, dude into my home to see my hot water heater. He told me that it is 9 years old and and needs to be replaced because there is calcium build up inside it. He told me that everything if completely free and it will cost $26.99 per month and will be billed through Enbridge gas because National Home Services is a Canadian company and Reliance is not, that’s why Reliance bills us separately. He said I will get a $100 rebate on my Enbridge bill 45 days after installation. I told him everything sounded great but I would need to speak to my husband before making the decision, he asked me to sign just to make the installation appointment and I told him that he could call me tomorrow and I would let him know or just leave me a business card and I will call him to let him know. He ripped up the contract and left in on my table. He answered all of my questions so smoothly that it was only at this point that I knew it was a scam. The fact that I couldn’t have a few hours to decide. He came back and knocked and rang the doorbell again about 10 minutes later but I didn’t answer because I was reading this blog. (downtown Toronto)

• Kathy August 20, 2013, 7:42 pm

A couple of hours ago, a guy in uniform came to my door (couldn’t read what the logo on his shirt said, looked like Canada Energy something). First thing he told me was that he wasn’t one of those gas or hydro door-to-door salespeople. Then he said changes have recently been made to the Energy Star program. Showed me one of those EnergyStar stickers which he said would be on my furnace. Was I aware of the changes to the program? No, I replied. I can’t repeat what he said next because I didn’t understand — he seemed to not know what he was talking about, wasn’t explaining well at all. As soon as he paused, I said, “goodbye” and started to shut the door. “Someone will be coming back! If you don’t let me do it now, someone will be back here!” Do what?, I wondered but shut the door anyway. There have been a lot of gas & electricity salespeople in my area lately (Hanover, ON).

• Ashley July 25, 2013, 6:19 pm

People from National Home Comfort have been coming around for years now.. First time I was alone and he totally got me thinking he was from the government and it had to be done until I read fine print saying I sound be leaving reliance and switching companies. Tonight was the kicker though. This National guy first said he was with reliance which I knew was a lie. All the while he was trying to make me feel so stupid for trying to turn him away like I am the only one not doing it on my street. Then when I said Reliance has been leaving usmmessages warning us not to listen to him, he said Reliance was being fined millions of dollars for doing that and reliance was going out of business. I seriously feel like calling the police on them. It is so wrong what they are doing.

• OttawaGuy37 July 21, 2013, 3:36 pm

I just want to warn everyone that SUMMITT ENERGY has been going around Ottawa (Avalon neighborhood in Orleans). I had someone at my door on July 17, 2013. He said he was affiliated with Ontario Energy Board and wanted to verify if I was paying HydroOne’s “new price” or “old price”. When he put me on the phone and they asked if I agreed to a 5 year contract, I hung up the phone and slammed the door in his face.
    Summitt Energy is a scumbag company and Carlo Cavaliere (rep no OK 1364) is a DISHONEST, MISLEADING, LYING jerk. If he comes to your door, tell him to get lost and call the police.

• M. David July 4, 2013, 7:26 pm

A guy dressed in an orange vest and no ID came to my door and wanted to come in to see if my hot water tank was Energy Star efficient. He said he was from the National branch of Reliance. I told him I wasn’t interested. He asked if it was energy star. I told him I wasn’t interested in anything he had to offer. He wanted my name to take me off of his list. I told him he had my address. My name was none of his business. He left. My two barking black labs may have helped with the departure. After he left, I warned my son not to let anyone in the house regardless of where they say they are from. Warning flags were no ID, dressed like a road worker, wanted to come in and wanted my name. If Reliance had sent him, he would have my name, not just my address. Dangerous on so many levels.

• Jay June 26, 2013, 4:56 pm

I like how Reliance is singing their own praises on a blog about defeating a deceptive door-to-door salesperson, and at the same time spamming me daily with unsolicited phone calls for HVAC maintenance. When I tell them that the installer already does this for me, the lady rambles on for another 25 minutes without a pause, until I’m forced to simply hang up.

• Nina Rose June 19, 2013, 7:40 pm

Had a kid/guy came at my house telling me he is from comfort services and he is going door to door to check home furnace. He didn’t have an ID [I suppose with or without an ID didn't matter] to make sure they are energy efficient. Told him I am house sitting can’t help him. Thank goodness my older brother showed up just in time.

• Mike June 14, 2013, 10:13 pm

And a post script: a very nice and honest Reliance employee replaced my Mothers broken water heater on Christmas Day ! He said he wasn’t able to make it home for the holiday, might as well work. Totally incredible !

• Mike June 14, 2013, 10:10 pm

National Home Comfort ? Called Reliance, long story short: Reliance is mailing out a warning to its customers in my local area (Leamington, Ontario) to be aware these scammers are just that. Don’t much like finding out that some stranger is in my house with my wife and small children trying to sell a service package. They came back when I was home. Pretty sure they won’t be back ! I’m not a nice person when you get pushy with me or my family.

• john May 16, 2013, 9:55 am

Just do what I have been doing. Look them straight in the eye, tell they have crappy info because I do not rent but own my water heater. Gets them all the time.

• Anil Shanbhag May 14, 2013, 6:04 pm

I had this guy from National Home Comfort twice now at my door. He said he has been sent by Reliance Home Comfort to upgrade my water heater. I asked him a simple question :) I didn’t get a letter from Reliance that it was taken over by National :) at that he just left. The funny thing is that it is the second time I have booted the same guy out.

• lou April 3, 2013, 9:00 pm

Had the national home comfort door to door guys at my door tonight, gave me the speech with tons of stats asked them probably 20 questions which they had long confusing answers for each until I asked for a busines card which they did not have , then I asked for a broucher so I could read about the product and company which he did not have. They tried to get me to show them my water heater…not goin to happen soory .. just remember that no major company is going to go door to door without calling you and making an appointment with you..never let anyone in your house to CHECK SOMETHING

• Jude March 16, 2013, 12:22 pm

I was tricked into signing a National Home Services agreement to replace my hot water heater. After several questions on my part to try to ensure the rep wasn’t scamming me, he still managed to soft talk me into believing NHS is working with Enbridge at their behest!!! Now, I know it’s a scam operation. Am I legally obligated to them in any way?

• Reg Files February 27, 2013, 12:29 pm

Well they are at it again. Just had guy from what he said was National Home Comfort trying to get in to inspect my water heater. He was dressed with an orange reflective workers jacket and had photo id. after I told him my water heater was only 1 1/2 years old he told me that the other companies all bought Union Gas’s old water heaters off them and thats probably what I had. I said I don’t think so and also told him I had heard of their scam before and then informed him they don’t keep very good records as they had a guy around here about 6 months ago and he should known I had a new water heater. He left. Please seniors beware……….PLEASE !!!!!

• Brian February 9, 2013, 3:36 pm

Had a guy come today while my wife was trying to put the kids down for naps. Pretty friendly guy that got past my initial re-buff. He was persistent, but his picture on his I.D didn’t really match his face. Claimed to be from Ontario Consumers. His constant chatter and claims of money saving for my family was slowly weakening my initially strong stance. Soon my wife came to the door and strenghtened my resolve. Before I knew it was telling him to leave and I would contact my present renter. After he left, I phoned and they confirmed that virtually everything he said was a lie.

When I was a teenager, I used to listen to GWAR. They had a lyric that went “Everybody rip rip everybody off!”. I never really got it, but now as a homeowner, I do. Welcome to the human race.

• Andre Ayotte February 5, 2013, 7:15 pm

Just had a guy knock at the door saying he was from Reliance. Needed to check my water heater. They were checking all heaters on my street. I asked him if he worked for Reliance and why would he not make an appointment to schedule an inspection. He hesitated and asked me if I had a Reliance heater. I told him “why are you asking me this if you’re from Reliance”. You should already know this. He started to stammer and said goddbye, he would come back another day. I told him not to come back because I knew that he was trying to scam me. I then called several of my nieghbors to warn them.

• justin January 26, 2013, 5:57 pm

While I was at work, a rep claiming from National Home Services knoked the door of my house with my wife and kids. She made sound such that she will inspect the current hot water tank for *FREE*, that’s when my wife let her in!!! After all the sales pitch of literally everything is FREE and showing prictures of water tank after 5-7-15 years that your must be replaced. Unexpected and shocked, my wife unwillingly signed the application and made an installation appointment next day. Thankfully, my wife called me at work and explained this after the rep left. I was upset that she let a stranger into the house and signed, but I quickly call the agent and dialed National Home HQ to cancelled th appointment. Some of info that they lure you in are;
    - Refer anyone in ON and get 2 months free
    - Save $6-10 off monthly gas charges (What gas charges, I wonder)
    - Maintence every 5 years
    - Insurance Coverage for water damage restoration
    - Free install
    - Free Venting
    - Free $100 Rebate
    … monthly cost of 27.35 and in fine prints plus applicable taxes and annual increases up to 3.5%
    If you’ve been approached by some from National, please rethink before the rep can decide it for you!

• Mary January 24, 2013, 6:08 pm

Interesting to read this and especially reading the last post…..and its date. I’ve had a few guys come to my door over the last 6-8 months and had one at my door again today. I saw the Direct Energy van parked outside so didn’t answer the door. But I’m glad to find these reports from others and good to know what scams are out there.

Thanks again

• Krys George January 23, 2013, 2:52 pm

Wednesday, January 23, 2013 12:45pm
    Coldest day of the year, and a young lady, dressed in orange vest, carrying clipboard, National Energy, wanting to inspect my water heater, if it was a rental from Reliance. Told her I would contact Reliance if I had any problems, and was told by her that Reliance does not take water heater calls- I laughed at her, said no thx, and closed the door, much to her surprise-
    Glad to see I was correct, after reading your posts-
    Thank you Reliance for looking after your customers

• Jane Bennett November 20, 2012, 3:08 pm

I’ve had high pressure “energy savings consultants” come to the door, well-dressed, telling me that they want to inspect my gas appliances to ensure they are up to standard and tell me about government programs that will get them “up to standard” and that he would just take his shoes off and come in. I stood my ground and said no, that we are regularly inspected and all is good. He was quite high pressure. I actually happen to have a family member who is natural gas certified and is in the HVAC business. He maintains our equipment annually and tells us when things need to be replaced. So I don’t need these people coming to the door but lately they are just constant. Luckily I’m not afraid to be assertive and, if need be, rude, to get rid of them.

• Maurice November 19, 2012, 9:49 pm

Two came to my door tonight. Yes, at 7 pm. Clipboards in hand, flashlights, reflective vests. Looked so official. Said that my hot water tank isn’t up to code and has to be replaced since Reliance wasn’t doing their job in doing proper maintenance. They were from National Home Services. This is the 6th time in two years that they have come to my door with the same scam. they keep trying and I keep sending them on their way. DO NOT let these people into your home.

• Christine Light October 20, 2012, 11:18 pm

I’ve had a few ‘water heater inspecors’ come to my door over the past 6 months. The latest just two days ago was not budging. Finally, the last line he used on me was that his company bought Reliance out and that’s why they were going door to door checking. Seriously?!

• ex employee August 16, 2012, 2:23 am

I am an ex employee with direct energy. I would like to warn you all that ontario consumers ant summit are scam artist. They will lie to your face at the door. Trick you into believing that they are with enbridge and signyou up to a hefty contract. After you sign and have your tank switched they keep direct energy tank untill 10 days are up to hold you into their contract and than call direct energy pretending to be you to get the autherization number that you now need to drop off the tank. Untill you noticed youve switched companies its to late
    I have caught multiple of these people and sickens me on how low they will go. I undrrstand if a cx goes willibgly but really this is a whole new low.

• forest valley July 12, 2012, 5:17 pm

Warning! Man came to my door unanounced claiming.u works for reliance. He persisted that he had to check the water tank. He said reliance has been sold to the us and that they needed to put in a more energy efficient model. I wish I could post picture of the van! Called reliance and they informed me that it was a scam and theyahavent sold to the us. They are currently sending one of their actual employees to confront these frauds.

• Briar Ford June 9, 2012, 8:17 am

A young man from “Ecosmart Energy” claimed that Reliance has been sold to their company and they are replacing water heaters with more efficient units. Glossy brochures, soft sell (except the unusual time frame.) “You were notified by mail – You didn’t get the letter?” “You’ll save money!” This on Friday afternoon, and to install on the weekend.

But I see Reliance is still in business…

sbford

• Mardi Mathews May 5, 2012, 8:12 pm

Had National Home Services here 2 days ago, sorry to say I fell for their routine, agreed to have them come back next week to install a new water heater. Then found out from my friend today that this is a scam, so called and cancelled. If they try to give me a hassle, I will have the police here when they come, hope that will be the end of it. I will never let ANY door-to-door salesmen do this to me again…if it is legitimate, the company will contact me by mail first, then I can make my arrangements accordingly. These people were VERY aggressive, so you seniors (like me) beware. Thank you, Mardi Mathews

• Nancy Lavoie April 26, 2012, 6:12 pm

I had a guy with a safety orange coat and a photo tag. show up at my door two Saturday’s ago, telling us he was ordered to perform hot water heaters in every home. Said that Reliance had refuse to update their water tanks to code, therefore, the courts had ordered the government to send inspectors to inspect the tanks. Then he showed us a booklet which was a LivClean company booklet, to try and convince us to change our water tank to theirs. We didn’t take it! Sad that people are going around doing this. The saddest part is, they will hit on elderly peoples doors and those elderly people are the ones that will get scammed the most.

• Mike Fitzpatrick April 26, 2012, 12:41 pm

I just had a visit from National Home Comfort. The 2 individuals were dressed like workmen (orange vests) and stated that they were part of an energy star upgrade and that they needed to see my hot water tank to see what they’d need to replace it with.

I told them to leave.

I’d warn you that older people answering the door would most likely think that they were sent by you to upgrade their tank.

• Linda metcalfe April 23, 2012, 7:21 pm

Recently had woman knock on my door on a Saturday saying that they were there to inspect my water heater and update serial number, etc. and had been sent by Reliance! Told her that if Reliance wanted to see my water heater, they could send my a letter by mail arranging an appointment and shut the door. An hour later, the same woman knocked on my door again! this time she was there to ensure that I had the most current up to date water heater available …. I asked her “you were here an hour ago….weren’t you!” Door shut.

• Dion April 23, 2012, 4:13 pm

I have had someone to my home several times, but the last one was exceptional. Same aggressive approach, told him several times (starting off polite) that I wasn’t interested. I was finally forced to ask the person to leave, when he made a fist and took a step towards me as if to indicate that he was going to punch me in my doorway! (I was only in a towel and he was counting on me not stepping beyond my doorway, which I didn’t – lucky for him). I have been in the military for many years, and am not a small guy – to this day I am still shocked at this episode. Thanks to Reliance for being leaders in educating the public.

• Cathy Wishart April 21, 2012, 12:45 pm

I had some kind of sales person at my door on a Sunday. He had a big Reliance Brochure/Book sitting on top of his paperwork. Said I was entitled to a free rental water tank if mine was 10 years old or older. Half the time I couldn’t understand him anyways as his accent was so thick. He was an oriental gentleman. I told him I wasn’t interested and that if I was entitled to a new rental water tank I would be looking for notification in the mail from Reliance. They’d know if my tank was 10 years old. Haven’t seen any salesmen since but I was glad your company had left several automated voice mails on my phone warning me about this. Thank you.

• Carlo April 21, 2012, 11:24 am

Just the other day while I was at my parents home. A person came to the door claiming to check the furnance for proper installation. I believe this was one of those decptive sales that are goin on. Please post something about anyone claiming to present heating comapnies ir inspections.

• R Carolyn Arand April 20, 2012, 8:25 pm

I have had that experience with guys[they look like college kids] who push to get in my house saying if my water heater is more then 2 years old I am using an inefficent water heater and they try pushing their way in to my home to view the water heater. I have my son’t lab here till he picks her up in evening and I always tell them the dog can’t be trusted not to bite to protect me so they need to stay outside the door. The god would lick them to death but it has worked. My son’t friends works for Crosslang heating in town and he told me they are phony and not to believe them or let them in my house. He was even here one night and tried finding thew guy to let him know that but no luck. I am happy with my service and not interested in pests at door.

• Brian McCarthy April 20, 2012, 1:02 pm

Last weekend this happened .A sales person from National home services out of Ottawa, he said wanted to inspect my water heater to see if it was energy efficient labelled and I refused him. Poor sales technique but very aggressive.

• William Clifford April 20, 2012, 12:20 pm

I have had door-to-door people wearing photo-ID saying they were Reliance Home Comfort empoyees.

• Jeff April 20, 2012, 3:05 am

Good info. The house I bought had a sign on the door saying “no agents peddlers or solicitors” which happily left on. That was a great decision, people respect the sign.

Now if only there was an easy way to protect myself from telemarkers trying to pressure me to buy furnace insurance… hmmm Reliance?

• Margaret Webber April 19, 2012, 10:23 pm

Last week a chap showed up at our door saying he was there to inspect our water heater. This has happened before but he had a new twist. He said he was from some “green energy” initiative and if our water heater was over 10 years old, it should be inspected as it probably was not “green” enough. He did have a photo ID clipped to his belt and offered it to me and had a brochure, which unfortunately I didn’t accept. We have a contract with Reliance and I have heard all about these water heater scams, so I sent him away. I tried calling our local police to report a possible scam but they just gave me another number to call and I could not get through on it.
    Your tips above are great but it looks as if the scam artists are a step ahead and could easily fool some homeowners with genuine looking credentials.

• Lynda Hamilton April 19, 2012, 9:20 pm

Last week a man from National Home Comfort (now they wear uniforms) knocked on almost every door in the neighbourhood (I was out walking when I first saw him). We have a ‘no soliciting’ sign on our door and he knocked on ours anyways. He didn’t get even a full sentence out of his mouth before he was told ‘NO!’ hahaha

• Alison Kennedy April 19, 2012, 8:51 pm

I had a guy come by saying that there are new, more efficient water heaters, that are Energ Star compliant. He said that the deal they had was for either Direct Energy or Reliance Home Comfort. that was when I KNEW it had to be a scam, since you are in competition with each other, you would never combine with Direct Energy on a promotion!

• Roland Marissen April 19, 2012, 5:59 pm

Had an water heater inspecter at the door today. (Woke me up from a nap!) I told her the water heater does not belong to us and to get in touch with the owners. (Reliance) She said it was her job to inspect the heater. I told her it was my job to tell her to please go away. She would not go until I got nasty. I don’t like doing that because I realise we all have to make a living but it is better to earn an honest living. Roland..